Navigating, Educating, and Supporting Together (NEST)
- We reached more than 10,000 individuals, provided in-depth breast health education to 4,500, and provided patient navigation services to more than 1,000.
- 94% of program participants say they are now better able to set up their own breast screenings
- 98% intend to continue regular breast health screenings
The Navigating, Educating, and Supporting Together (NEST) is a coordinated education and patient navigation program designed to improve breast and cervical health outcomes among Philadelphia’s Latina population. This program aims to increase capacity at the individual and community levels to overcome social determinants of health by increasing knowledge and awareness of breast and cervical health issues and resources and by decreasing barriers to access within the Latino community.
NEST builds from the evidence-based patient navigator model. As a community-based patient navigation program, NEST services differ from clinically-based navigator programs by extending into the community to reach individuals that may not otherwise access health care services. NEST utilizes a multi-faceted approach to achieve goals and objectives, and apply the following strategies:
- One-on-one awareness-building activities with Latina women in a variety of settings including health clinic waiting rooms, public transportation, and neighborhood block parties;
- In-depth breast and cervical health/cancer education to groups in the most densely populated Latino communities in Philadelphia; and
- A patient navigator system that links individuals to health and social services based on their specific needs; and
- Convening Philadelphia’s only Breast Health Navigation Network formed to support patient navigators as they seek to relieve program participants of the stresses and burdens of navigating complex health and social service systems.
HPC has successfully applied its unique model for community-based patient navigation to provide support to Asian and Hispanic/Latina women in Philadelphia for nearly ten years. HPC is recognized for its breast cancer education and patient navigation services and, in 2012, received a National Platinum Award from Case in Point Weekly for its unique model and outstanding patient navigation services.
- Susan G Komen Philadelphia
- PHMC Health Center Network
- Public Health Management Corporation Research and Evaluation Group
- Abramson Cancer Center
- Family Planning Council
- Esperanza Health Center
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Albert Einstein Medical Center
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- The Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- The Women and Children Health Services
- ASPIRA Inc. of Southeastern PA
- Puentes de Salud,
- The Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos